Counselor Assistant Program - Additional Information
Need more information? Email us at Info@campcarolina.com
Young men who have completed the 9th, 10th, 11th or 12th grade are eligible to be CAs. Enrollment is limited to a small group. Returning campers are given preference for registration. New prospects will then be given consideration. Occasionally we have cancellations because of summer school, accidents, or illnesses that provide openings in March, April or May.
CAs are accepted on a provisional basis upon receiving the Camp In Touch online Camper Application and the $700.00 registration fee. To be fully accepted in the CA Program, the following must be on file:
- Camper Application
- Counselor Assistant Program Information document signed and dated
- Q&A documents signed and dated (parent and applicant)
- References supporting the applicant (first year only)
After the above information is received and references are checked, we make the decision to fully accept or reject the CA applicant. We reserve the right to refuse acceptance of any applicant who in our judgment will neither benefit from nor contribute to the camp experience.
OPENING DAY AND CLOSING DAY
On Opening Day, CAs must arrive at 10:00am. On Closing Day, parents and siblings are invited to the closing ceremonies. Closing Day begins at 10:00am when you go to your son's cabin to see him and his counselor. The traditional Olympics ceremony begins at 10:30am followed by 11:30am cookout lunch. Young men who are flying home should fly out before noon on Closing Day.
Attending camp provides an extraordinary opportunity for the CA to gain the self-reliance, self-confidence and independence important to a young man's development. Therefore, the CA program should not be interrupted with visits by parents and relatives. We highly recommend that parents visit camp on opening and closing day of the camp session. At these times parents are encouraged to meet the staff and view the camp facility. Parents should not call their son except in an emergency or on a special occasion such as a birthday. If you have messages for or concerns about your son, please call us. CAs can use the office phone if required.
Only the highest qualified CAs are eligible to return the following year. Invitation is based on performance. Participants who have completed 2 different summer sessions as a CA and either graduated from high school or have completed their junior year in high school may be invited back as a Counselor In Training (CIT) the following summer based on performance. This is a tough age to take on the responsibility we require from these young men. We stand firm in accepting only the boys who show the leadership skills to be positive role models for the younger boys and to take this responsibility seriously. Camp for a young man in his late teens, more often than not, is much more structured than home. We only want participants here who are willing to improve leadership skills, focus on younger children instead of themselves, and give up some of the freedom and comforts they are used to at home. Most boys who come with the right focus find that although sometimes it is challenging it is also rewarding and fun! You must be 18 years of age, completed one year of university or similar and willing to commit to the whole summer to be a full-fledged member of the staff. The importance of the CAs example for the younger campers cannot be overemphasized. Violators of our agreement are subject to dismissal without refund.
A Counselor Assistant is expected to take on many job duties. Please read about the duties below. If there are any questions or concerns regarding the ability to perform the duties, please email email@example.com.
- OFFICER OF THE DAY (OD) DUTY: The OD Hut is the first entry point at Camp Carolina. The CA's role while on OD duty is to meet & greet all vehicles as they drive into camp, take the details for any vehicle without a "CCB" registration sticker, ring the gong (which signals an announcement or change in activity), and answer the OD phone.
- DINING HALL: The CAs as a collective work with the kitchen staff to set up and clean the dining hall before and after meals, three times a day.
- COMMUNITY SERVICE: The CAs participate in a community service project for the Nath Thompson Scholarship Fund. This fund raises money to send less fortunate children to Camp Carolina and other camps in the Transylvania County area. Some of the community service work includes, but is not limited to - trail maintenance, clearing a new camping site, going out into the community to help in elderly homes, or charity work.
- ACTING CABIN COUNSELOR: When counselors have a night off, the CAs who have shown initiative, responsibility, and effectiveness have the opportunity to assist in the cabins and look after the campers. The CAs could be looking after campers aged anywhere from 6-14.
- ACTIVITY/TRIP ASSISTANCE: During the day, the CAs will go to activities in camp or out on trips. During this time, their role is to assist the Activity Head and counselor in any way possible to ensure that the activity or trip is run as smoothly as possible.
- GROUP ACTIVITIES: The CAs will have many opportunities to gather with their peers and participate in fun and adventurous activities in and out of camp.
EVALUATION: AT THE END OF EACH WEEK CAs WILL BE EVALUATED ON THEIR JOB PERFORMANCE AND ATTITUDE. A SUCCESSFUL EVALUATION EACH WEEK ENTITLES THEM TO BE PAID FOR THAT WEEK.
CA PAY SCALE
Based on weekly evaluations of attitude and job performance, CAs can earn up to $100.00 per week their first year; up to $120.00 per week their second year; up to $140.00 per week their third year; and up to $160.00 per week their 4th year. Checks will be mailed after their session ends.
FEES AND REFUNDS
There is a $1000 registration fee, $250 of which is non-refundable. There is a $500 October 1 payment, a $500 December 1 payment, a $500 February 1 payment, with the balance due by April 1. If cancellation occurs before February 1st by written notice (mail, email or fax), all but $250 will be refunded. If cancellation occurs after February 1st, there will be no refund. There is no reduction for campers arriving late or leaving early. An invoice for each payment will be emailed to you ten days prior to the due date. Payments may be made on your Camp In Touch account by credit card (there is a 2.5% credit card processing fee) or by check. If paying by check, please make payable to "Camp Carolina" and mail to: Camp Carolina, PO Box 919, Brevard, NC 28712.
Our fee is all inclusive. Spending money may be made with the final payment to establish a Camp Bank account for each camper. We suggest $35/week for each session. After camp is over, we will refund any excess in your son's Camp Bank or we will bill you if your son is overdrawn.